Monday, January 03, 2005

It's been a year to this date...

A year ago my Auntie Lina Coquia passed away from Breast Cancer. Today. She was a wonderful woman, a second mother to my brothers and myself. My mothers best friend. When my parents were in the Philippines my Junior year of highschool, I stayed with the Coquia's for Christmas. She always looked out for us. Always. I know over the years I saw her less and less. It was mostly because my cousin and I drifted apart (well, it's more than that--too complicated). I even swallowed my pride and went to my cousins wedding just so Auntie Lina wouldn't be disappointed. We all knew she would be if my brother and I did not show up. So we did. We got drunk, but we were there. That's what mattered. She was so happy when she saw us. I'll never forget that. I saw her a few times after that, I think on Christmas or something. But before she got really really sick, I did not see her. My mom did. Those were the days when I felt guilty for coming home, because someone was making me feel that way. Someone made me feel like shit every time I came home (for other reasons of course--but I hated being home regardless). Maybe if my cousin and I made up prior, things would have been different... Now look. She's gone. I did not have a chance to say good-bye. So in her honor I am running. For her I train. For her I bug people to donate. For her I buy shitloads of breast cancer bracelets and pass them on to friends and family (and those who donate). For her I push myself harder. I know I won't finish in the top 3, but I will be one of the top 10,000. I will get my pin, even if I have to push Lan in the process (we WILL finish together)!! I know you are watching us Auntie Lina. I honor you by running. I will never forget you. I love you, and I miss you so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment